Thursday, October 2, 2008

Ellsworth and Winchester Form a Literary Society


Whacha doin'?

Reading one of The Writer's library books. She's off on a speaking visit the next few days and she left her book here. It's a grown-up book.

The Writer is reading a book for grown-ups? I think I'm going to faint.

Don't faint, the floor might break.

Ha-ha. What's the book called?

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's really good.

How can a book about a cow and pig food be good?

It's about the island, not the cow. People on Guernsey Island, which is near the coast of France, formed a book club during World War II. They didn't have much to eat so one of the members made up this special pie from pototo peelings. Their meetings helped them cope with the war and they also helped each other.

All because of reading a bunch of books? Hey, Ellie, why don't we form our own literary society?

Don't call me Ellie. Actually that's not a bad idea. We could read uplifting books and discuss them.

And eat! Don't forget the eating part. We won't have awful stuff like potato peel pie, either. Plus I get to name our club. Okay? I get to name it, right? Okay, Ellie? Okay?

I think I need to get my reading glasses changed. I feel a headache coming on.




No comments: