Friday, September 12, 2008

Poetry Friday


Hello, Everyone! Welcome to Poetry Friday (both of you)!

Eh-hem. Haven't you seen the "Journal Readers" thingie on our blog? You have exactly one reader.

Well . . . welcome, Heidi! Here is our first offering for Poetry Friday. I plan to select older and forgotten children's poets. The Writer believes Robert Louis Stevenson is the finest poet for children. I like him too and will choose a poem from A Child's Garden of Verses now and then. This is The Writer's very favorite poem--she loves the way the rhythm speeds up, just like a train.

"From a Railway Carriage"

Faster than fairies, faster than witches,
Bridges and houses, hedges and ditches;
And charging along like troops in a battle,
All through the meadows the horses and cattle:
All of the sights of the hill and the plain
Fly as thick as driving rain;
And ever again, in the wink of an eye,
Painted stations whistle by.

Here is a child who clambers and scrambles,
All by himself and gathering brambles;
Here is a tramp who stands and gazes;
And there is the green for stringing the daisies!
Here is a cart run away in the road
Lumping along with a man and load;
And here is a mill and there is a river:
Each a glimpse and gone forever!

7 comments:

Heidi Quist said...

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure you have more readers than me. I only have one "follower" too, but I know others read. But anyway, I always love reading your posts :) Keep it up, if only for me.

ellsworth said...

We're glad you're here too! I may use the "follower" thingie, too, if The Writer can figure it out. At least she has hooked up her scanner. Next . . . Photoshop Elements!

TamraW said...

I'm here too! I love to visit, and I'm looking forward to seeing more Vintage books

ellsworth said...

Tamra! We're so glad to hear from you! Now that Labor Day is over and things have slowed down at the campground, you will have time to enjoy a Special Delivery package--if we can stuff him in it.

No! I hate boxes!!!

Look, Winchester! We have three follower "thingies!" Time for us to figure out how to do that little thing to the blogs we read.

Kelly said...

Stevenson's the best. Thanks for sharing. Make sure to leave your link over at Biblio File. Those are the only "rules." :)

And I'm way behind on e-mail, but will catch up this weekend. Thanks for participating!

Karen E. said...

I love Stevenson for children, too, and love your various copies of A Child's Garden of Verse!

ellsworth said...

Karen, you have very keen eyesight considering The Writer's bad photography. She owns many copies of Garden of Verses, her favorite being the edition illustrated by Jessie Willcox Smith. She has 3 different copies of that book (all new) and this summer nearly swooned when she stumbled on an old Scribner's edition with all the plates intact (she did not tell her husband--shh.)